Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Head First...


Okay, Jonathan told me to do this months ago & I've been toying with the idea since then. In the past week or so I have had a growing sense of conviction...I feel like I have a responsibility to share.

As many of you know, we got married, had the big move from Texas to Brooklyn (the next day)...then I was jobless...and searching...and searching. Then the economy buried itself in a hole. Then I got a job (yay!).

Many people I know are recent graduates & are either yet to land that first "real" job or are in a transition phase – some by choice taking a leap of faith, other's because of company downsizing. Still others have made (or are about to make) a cross-country move to be with their partners, and a few are looking for a supplementary income of some kind. As I write this I can only think of 2 or 3 of my friends that are sitting nicely at their jobs with out fear and with out searching for something else. I know that this has a lot to do with the demographic I'm looking at but these people are living in all areas of the country with completely different professional backgrounds (ie: not all designers or creatives).

What I'm trying to say is – I'm going to do a series of posts sharing my knowledge about the job hunt, how to market yourself & what I've learned along the way. I may even invite a few friends to share their stories of how they got where they are. I'm far from being an expert but I think I've found a few things along the way that some other people could benefit from.

While most of my knowledge is in the design/creative realm, I have some information that will cross platforms. If any of you have something specific that you would like to see, if you have a piece of advice that you would like to share...a story or resources please feel free to e-mail me, I would love to hear about it & share in turn.

1 comment:

leah said...

Hi Katie,
I have been following your blog for a little while - via Hillary - she was also my wedding photog and I came across your blog on her blog. Anyway, I am also a TTU grad and work in advertising in Dallas. Have you considered freelancing at all in NYC? I checked out your portfolio on your website and you are quite talented. It pays well and we often end up hiring our freelancers if business is good. :) Just something to consider!